Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Loving the Anonymous Referee

We've all had it happen to us--as coaches, fans, or as players. We've had a call go against us. Maybe we were one out away from a perfect game when the first base umpire botched the call, or maybe a player threw up a hand to stop a surefire goal and it wasn't called, or maybe our son was ejected from the game after just a dirty look. Its easy in these situations to blow up; to vent our frustration and tell the official just how wrong they are. After all, they wronged us, and as the victim we're entitled to a little lip, right? While the world at large may agree with this and push us to hold this attitude, we have to remember that we don't live by what the world tells us.
"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." -- James 3:9-10
As is a recurring theme in this blog, I'd like to stress the importance of living every aspect of our life for God. When we go to the ballpark, we're not just fans of a sport; we're still living examples of the love of God. We need to remember that the men and women officiating a game are just as much God's children as we are, and we're just as much a sinner as they are. It may be culturally encouraged to get passionate about sports, and vicariously make enemies of the officials, but God calls us to reject such a culture's mindset. Despite the fact that its fun to bark at referees and boo, if only to be part of the community around you, that's no reason to live a second life on the field then you do in the rest of life. Sometimes as citizens of the world we're looking for an excuse to get mad at something, so we look for ways we've been wronged and speak out. This is the wrong way to deal with our anger.
"Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." -- Ephesians 4:31-32
God teaches us that if we are to model our lives after Jesus, then we must be ready to forgive trespasses against us. Do not allow yourself to drift back into anger by lashing out at the seemingly anonymous person behind the whistle. While passion is a fine thing to have, we need to let God direct our passion towards his goals instead of letting it run free like a wildfire. Speaking from experience, I know that I am often not able to tame my tongue when I do it by myself. At my core I am a bitter, selfish, proud man who thoughtlessly mocks those around me. In my case, I pray that the Lord helps me tame my tongue and instead gives me ways to practice using my tongue for the building up of others. I imagine I'm not alone in my struggles against this sin, and I've found that letting bitterness during sports have any place in my mind only allows the poison to spread.

So friends, don't take the easy way out. Even outside of sports, don't slander and mock public figures simply because they seem anonymous and outside earshot. Every thought we give to that mindset; every space in our heart we're allowing it to rent is another place in our life we're barricading God from entering. Let's humble ourselves and allow God full entrance into our lives instead of just the parts where it's convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment